Dirty words you’ll never find in Zum products.
Cover your pores, these are some of the dirtier words your skin has been exposed to.
1. Cocamidopropyl Betaine – Yes, it’s derived from the coconut, but is put through many chemical processes. Unless you’re into the occasional allergic reaction, this is no chemical you want in your piña colada.
2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – This foaming agent is prepared by the ethoxylation of dodecyl alcohol and can cause skin and eye irritation. They don’t teach you about that stuff in bartending school.
3. Petroleum By-products/Mineral Oil – Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum products and can actually clog pores and cause breakouts. Sounds pretty crude, if you ask us.
4. Phthalates – This stuff has been linked to asthma, ADD and a long list of other health issues. It’s used in stabilizers, dispersants, lubricants, binders, emulsifying agents, and a bunch of other things, like a Molotov cocktail for your body. Ever wonder why perfume gives you a headache? It’s the phthalates.
5. Triclosan – Found in toothpaste, detergents, and soaps, it’s basically an added chemical that doesn’t make things more “antibacterial.” Would not be a blast as your next cocktail party—unless you’re looking to pick up “a contaminant of emerging concern.”
6. Parabens – Make their appearance in shampoos, moisturizers, shaving gels, personal lubricants, topical/parenteral pharmaceuticals, makeup, and absolutely nothing we sell. We’ll drink to that.
7. Propylene Glycol – This filthy compound may cause allergic skin reactions and has no place behind your beauty bar. Common in vaporizers, topical formulations, and your favorite brands of antifreeze.
8. Chemical Surfactants – Shake some of these yp with your next laundry load, and the dirty water becomes a toxic environmental cocktail. Turn the tide and don’t cheer for this stuff. If your product doesn’t say soap it’s not natural.
9. VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) – The bed spins are bad enough. But go on a blender with this stuff and you might experience nose and throat discomfort, headaches, allergic skin reaction, dyspnea, nausea, vomiting, nose bleeding, fatigue, and dizziness.
10. Artificial Dyes & Colors – All of the side effects are still a mystery, but some have been linked to ADHD and cancer. Nature is natural and we believe what you put on your body should be as good as what you put in your body.